Landscapes of Injustice Publications, Newsletters and Media Coverage
Landscapes of Injustice Publications
Okawa, Eiji, Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective
The Human Experiences of the Uprooting of Japanese Canadians_Eiji Okawa
Series of articles on the source materials of the Japanese Canadian experiences in the 1940s.
Published in the October 2016 issue of Geppo-The Bulletin
Merriam, Ariel, Stanger-Ross, Jordan, Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective
“Not at all prepared for winter: A family narrative of dispossession”
Blog post for The Champlain Society, June 21 2016
Stanger-Ross, Jordan, Adams, Eric, Madokoro, Laura
Lessons from the Japanese Canadian internments: Policies built on fear won’t make us safer
Op-Ed Globe and Mail, January 19, 2016
Stanger-Ross, Jordan and Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective
Suspect Properties: The Vancouver Origins of the Forced Sale of Japanese-Canadian-owned Property, WWII*
Journal of Planning History I-19 2016
*Contact Jordan Stanger-Ross email@example.com for a copy of this publication.
Thatcher, J., Bergmann, L., Ricker, B., Rose-Redwood, R. (Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective), O’Sullivan, D., Barnes, T., Barnesmoore, et al.
Revisiting Critical GIS
Environment & Planning A, first published online on December 23, 2015 as doi: 10.1177/0308518X15622208.
Telling a Difficult Past: Kishizo Kimura’s Memoir of Entanglement in Racist Policy
BC Studies, Spring 2014
Landscapes of Injustice Working Papers
Merriam, Ariel and Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective
“Our Appreciation for All Your Goodness and Kindness”: Power, Rhetoric, and Property Relations in the Dispossession of Japanese Canadians.
Perry-Whittingham, Mike and Landscapes of Injustice Research Collective
Landscapes of Injustice Videos
Spring Institute 2016 Video – Video from Filmmaker Sean MacPherson provides insights from 3 project members, Art Miki, Eric Adams and Nicole Yakashiro on what this project means to them.
- [web] Maryse Zeidler, 75th anniversary of Japanese-Canadian internment camps echoes as fear of Islamophobia rise Interview with Mary Kitagawa cbc.ca news, February 25, 2017
- [radio] Laura Madokoro Il y a 75 ans, un épisode honteux de l’histoire canadienne Radio-Canada.ca, February 24, 2017
- [radio] Vivian Rygnestad, The Early Edition with Rick Cluff, CBC Radio Vancouver, January 13, 2017 starts at 1:19:31
- [web] [print] Betty Shea, Giving Voice to our History The Source Newspaper January 11, 2017
- [web] Kirstie Hudson, Heirlooms stolen from Japanese-Canadian family in 1943 back in BC cbc.ca, July 5, 2016
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross, Joe Perkins on CFAX 1070, (Guest host Mark Rennie), CFAX 1070 Victoria, June 30, 2016 Starts at the 17:37 mark.
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Sherri Kajiwara, CBC On the Coast, with Stephen Quinn, CBC Radio One, June 29, 2016 Starts at the 2:06 mark.
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Sherri Kajiwara, CBC All Points West, Property stolen from Japanese-Canadian family in 1943 back in BC with Robyn Burns, CBC Radio One, June 29, 2016
- [web] Tara Sharpe, “Acquisition of Japanese-Canadian heirlooms now part of $5.5M Landscapes of Injustice project“, The Ring, June 29, 2016
- [print] “BC researchers acquire historical collection of dispossessed Japanese Canadian lumber baron“, Metro News, June 29, 2016
- [print] Richard Watts, “Japanese-Canadians’ stolen history brought to light“, Times Colonist, June 29, 2016
- [print] Megan Dolski, “Research project to share stories of dispossessed Japanese Canadians“, Globe and Mail, June 29, 2016
- [web] “Property of Japanese Canadians Seized”, Vancouver Planning Chronology, February 2016
- [print] Tara Sharpe, “New findings on 1940s Vancouver properties”, The Ring, February 2016
- [web] Alyse Kotyk, “Researchers reveal City of Vancouver’s deeper involvement in forced sale of Japanese Canadian property“, rabble.ca, February 8, 2016
- [web] Tara Sharpe, “New findings sharpen view on Vancouver properties in 1940s”, The Ring, January 28, 2016
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross, Vancouver Co-op Radio, (23:20) January 28, 2016
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross, “More on forced sale of Japanese Canadians’ assets”, with Lynn Desjardins, CBC Radio Canada International, January 20, 2016
- [television] Jordan Stanger-Ross, Global TV, January 19, 2016
- [print] Craig Takeuchi, “Uvic researchers find Vancouver played larger role in Japanese Canadian wartime dispossession”, Georgia Strait, January 19, 2016
- [print] Sunny Dhillon, “Vancouver prompted WWII sell-off of Japanese-Canadian-owned-property”, Globe and Mail, January 19, 2016
- [print] Matt Kieltyka, “Uncovered documents reveal Vancouver’s role in historic sell-off of Japanese-Canadian property”, Metro Vancouver News, January 17, 2016
- [web] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Vivian Rygnestad, “City of Vancouver played role in stripping war-era Japanese Canadians of homes, says professor”, CBC.ca, January 18, 2016
- [web] Marie-Danielle Smith, “Echoes of mid-century xenophobia in Harper campaign, say historians”, embassynews.ca, October 14, 2015
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross, hourly news, CBC Victoria, January 17, 2016
- [television] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Vivian Rygnestad on CBC Vancouver News, January 16, 2016
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross on The Drive with Terry Moore, CFAX Victoria, October 5, 2015
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Vivian Rygnestad on On the Island (with Gregor Craigie, CBC Victoria, September 28, 2015
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross on On the Island (with Gregor Craigie), CBC, Victoria, February 4, 2015
- [radio] Frances Benoit on On the Island (with Gregor Craigie), CBC, Victoria, January 29, 2015
- [print] Matthew O’Mara, “Landscapes of Injustice Project Chasing Down JC Origins”, Nikkei Voice, November 4, 2014
- [blog] SFU Research News, “Landscapes of Injustice”, Research Matters Blog, September 15, 2014
- [television] Jordan Stanger-Ross interviewed as part of feature with Art Miki, “Internment of Japanese Canadians to be featured at Human Rights Museum”, CBC News, Winnipeg, September 17, 2014
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross and Masako Fukawa on On the Island (with Gregor Craigie), CBC, Victoria, August 28, 2014
- [radio] Jordan Stanger-Ross on the Pamela McCall Show, (38:35 to 57:00) CFAX 1070 (Victoria), August 28, 2014
- [print] Tara Sharpe, “UVic to lead $5.5 million research project on forced dispossession of Japanese Canadians”, The Ring, August 28, 2014
- [print] Jeff Bell, “Project to Recall Japanese Canadian Injustice”, Times Colonist, August 27, 2014